Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A little rambling on motherhood...

I am feeling anxious about Oliver turning 1 years old. Throughout this past year I would always round up when people would ask how old Oliver was. I find myself now wanting to hold onto "11 months." I can't believe that my little baby is going to be a year old in a few short weeks. Part of me is so afraid for him to grow older-life is so simple and easy for him now. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled for all of the things we will get to experience as he grows older- but I naturally worry about the trials that will come as well. (I know, I know....trust the Lord. I'm trying :).) I remember when he was first born and a year old seemed light years away. Now, it seems like just yesterday when he "popped" out of me. I just went through all the pictures of the past year- it truly has been the most amazing year of my life. I know Hank would agree. It is funny to think about when we found out we were expecting. We truly thought our lives were over. So many people said, "your lives are just beginning." I didn't believe them at the time. But, wow, is it true! The joy and love we have experienced this past year has been unlike anything else we have ever experienced.

It is incredible the love that a parent has for their child. I couldn't help but laugh at myself the other day as I was oogling over Oliver. I think I spent a good 5 minutes looking at the hair onthe back of his head and thinking to myself, "that is just the most beautiful hair I have ever seen in my entire life. Look how it curls like this and changes color right there....etc etc...."Only a parent can stare at a strand of hair on their child's head and almost be brought to tears because of the beauty of it. Hank and I could sit for way too long and just stare at Oliver and talk about how wonderful he is. It is such a beautiful reminder to us both of the Lord's love for us. We delight in Oliver so much- yet, the Lord delights in us and Oliver a trillion zillion times more than that! HOW AMAZING is that?! It reminds me of this great verse in Zephaniah:

The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

We are enjoying Oliver so much these days. I love looking back at past blog entries and seeing what he is into at certain ages. Here is what he is into right now: socks (he LOVES playing with socks- his socks, my socks, anyones socks...), kleenex, (the kid loves carrying around kleenex and wiping the floor with it too) making the cutest face ever when asked, "what does a doggy say", pointing out where his head is, falling backwards and laughing, climbing the stairs, watching the bath tub fill up, saying "Mama" and "Dada," playing peek a boo, crawling around outside and trying to eat leaves, going for bike rides and walks, throwing balls, chasing Dada around the kitchen island, throwing his sippy cup on the floor, brushing his teeth, dancing to the music.....



1 comment:

  1. Linds, this made me wanna cry! It's so cute and I miss you guys SO much! So glad I'll see him right around his birthday :) Give Ollie big hugs for me!!

    love, the best babysitter around :)

    ReplyDelete